P&P Workflow: #2
Olympus Evolt 500
18 mm focal length
Movie theater, Hanover, PA
I originally worked with a similar shot in color, which ended up being ok, but the “film noir” concept crossed my mind.
I opened the file in Adobe Camera Raw and used the “Fluorescent” preset to minimize the color cast. Opened the file in Photoshop.
Rotated the image and cropped it to provide better attention to the line of posters.
Next three steps are from a Scott Kelby book:
– Converted the image to LAB mode, then selected the Lightness Channel.
– Converted the image to grayscale, then RGB mode.
– Duplicated the background layer, then set the mode of this new layer to “Multiply.”
Used the Shadow/Highlight adjustment to create the desired balance between light and dark tones.
The next three sharpening steps are also from Kelby:
– Copied the image into a new channel, and selected the edges.
– Used “Levels” to make sure only the edges were selected. The selection was then inverted.
– Used the Unsharp Mask to sharpen the edges, then deselected.
*If you would like to contribute to the P&P Workflow, please email Jason.