Another Look at the Rust
After some pretty standard processing of the underlying photo of the concrete wall and rusted metal bolt and washers, I felt like it needed a little something extra. So I got the idea to blend the rusty door photo from the other day to, hopefully, make it look as though the concrete was rusting away to reveal the framework beneath.
- Placed the rusty door image into the concrete image.
- Went into the Channels Panel and made a duplicate of the channel with the most contrast – here it was the red.
- With the red channel copy selected I used Levels to increase it a little more.
- I then painted the center part (where the interesting rust was that I would have visible later) with black and the outer, door areas white to make a mask.
- Then I inverted the new channel and Ctrl-Clicked on the thumbnail to load the selection.
- I then went back to the Layers Panel and selected the rusty door layer and, with the selection still active, I added a layer mask.
- I changed the rusty door layer’s blend mode to Multiply to make it really feel like it was a part of the concrete.
- I also matched the color of the concrete image with the rusty door to make it look a little more realistic.
Hope you enjoy this one!
*A Brief Program Note: Given the busyness of the weekend and the Thanksgiving holiday here in the US, the P&P Weekly will be taking a break until next week.