New: Photo Reviews
I got an email the other night from the folks at the Muskogee Camera Club. They wrote to let me know that they just sent me the latest shots from their members for me to judge. Basically, I will see what they have done and offer my comments and suggestions and choose the best shot from each class. I really appreciate the opportunity and the confidence they have placed in me to review the work of the members.
The email got me to thinking about what we’re all about here and it sparked an idea for, yet another, new series for the blog: photo reviews. Like everyone out there, even seasoned pros, I am still learning and growing as a photographer and in my skills in post-processing. And it is always appreciated when a fellow photographer offers an opinion of my work. It’s not always high praise or ego massage, but because it comes from someone who is also out there shooting and understands the art it can really help me to challenge my own assumptions and build towards being a better photographer the next time around.
So, starting today, I invite you to send in your photos for review here on the blog so that we can all see your work and, hopefully, you will be able to take away something that helps you grow as a visual artist in this amazing medium of ours.
Here’s how it’s going to work:
- Send me your final shot, processed however you like, as an email attachment no larger than 800px on the longest side.
- Please do not submit more than one photo for me to review at a time. It could really fill my inbox and I want to make sure as many people get a turn as possible.
- I will post your photo here on the blog (giving you credit and linking to your site, if you have one) and offer my thoughts about what works and what could be improved. I will try to highlight the positives but I also want to be honest and fair and will point out areas that I feel could be improved or things to consider in the future.
- Sometimes, if something jumps out at me, I may take the image and make an adjustment here or there as a way to offer a suggestion for alternative processing. I want it to be clear that I would not be taking any credit for such images and the originals always remain the property of their respective creators. I would only include an alternate process if, and only if, I am given permission by the photographer when the image is submitted. If anyone is uncomfortable with me processing one of their shots and displaying it publicly here on the blog, please let me know when you submit and I will, absolutely, respect your wishes.
- Also, if you would prefer that your photo is not open to comments from the general readership, let me know and I will disable comments for your post. Though I will say that my opinions aren’t the only ones with value and others may have helpful input as well.
- If you submit a photo that is then reviewed here, you can feel free to send in another shot which will be added to the list for a future review.
Basically that’s it! Once again, there’s no alterior motives here, just the desire to share photos and learn. If you would like to have your photo reviewed here, send it along to firstname.lastname@example.org!
I’m looking forward to it!