P&P Weekly: #111

Jason D. Moore Photography - P&P Weekly Newsletter

My apologies for the long lapse in publishing The P&P Weekly. It’s been a full few weeks here and I wanted to be sure to do it right or not at all.

Since the last issue of “The Weekly” I decided to try a few things that I am implementing this time around. The first is the most visible change, a new interactive version created with InDesign’s option to export directly to SWF Flash files. I really like the look of this new feature and I thought it would be a cool way of presenting this series. I’m still working to get everything dialed in with the settings but I think it works pretty well for now. It is viewed best with a screen resolution of at least 1024×768 and does require Flash Player.

The next change is also visible. With the new change in presentation comes other layout opportunities. So I decided to begin shifting to more of a newsletter format to dress things up a bit and make it easier to read through.

Lastly, one of the things regular readers will notice is that there are only 20┬ámembers featured in this edition. The list has been growing, thankfully, which means that I needed to divide up the list a little more and 20 seemed like a good number to go with. It may fluctuate a little here and there as needed but we’re going try keeping it down to around 20 or so each week. And now that I have the template set, it should be easier to get back on track.

Let me know what you think about the new format and if you notice anything that I need to address.

Read The P&P Weekly #111 Now!

Comments:
  • Good writing. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed my Google News Reader..

Matt Hanson

March 5, 2009 at 4:01 am
  • Looks really good Jason. I like the page rolls still and the new width works out good too on my monitor. Nice newsletter look to it too. Good work!

March 5, 2009 at 4:09 am
  • Hendrik Demey

Unfortunately, on my system the new design does not work: I have to scroll left and right to view all the pages; clicking yet another link to go to a following page is too much fuss; the links don’t work in my newsreader (Vienna).

March 5, 2009 at 4:28 am
  • The design looks good, it’s true, but I’m interested more in content, then in fancy flash pages. Sorry, I don’t think I’ll visit the P&P Weekly so often anymore. The reason is simple: with hundreds of feeds already in my Reader, I like the links there, not on your site.

PS: Another complaint would regard the quality of the photos you decide to promote. I understand the “connecting the digital imaging community” slogan, and the compromises sometimes needed to secure this connections, but make it 50-50 and put some great photos there as well…

March 5, 2009 at 7:38 am
  • Thanks for your input, one and all, I always appreciate hearing from readers so I can find a better balance between what I want to do and what works well/what my readers want to see.

Like I said, I was just trying some things out and, I agree, it probably makes more sense to keep a post like this as a straight post for ease of use in readers, but I still like how it looks/works for galleries. So I’ll switch back to the old format next week, with perhaps a revamped look.

I appreciate your comment about which photos to feature, Gabriel. I struggle with that as well because, on the one hand, I want to support anyone and everyone with a passion for photography, but on the other, I want to highlight solid work.

I’d like to hear from others about this. What would you like to see? What would be a good balance between encouraging amateurs and hobbyists while really featuring stand-out work, specifically in “The P&P Weekly” and regular photo projects like “Geographic Composition” and “On the 4th”? Do I make these projects less “open” and go with fewer submissions but what is shown is of higher quality? I suppose it could act as a motivator to those submitting to really challenge themselves to get better so their shots will get in, but I don’t want it to be discouraging either.

What are your thoughts?

March 5, 2009 at 9:16 am
  • I would encourage you to consider keeping the Geo Comp and On the 4th open. With these items, participants are in a sense being “asked” to do a specific task, either taking a photograph at a certain time, or photographing a certain topic. While it’s true there is no obligation to participate, because they’re doing the task specifically for your web site, I’d think it would make sense to publish all reasonable entries.

P&P, on the other hand, is strictly a service you provide. That should be completely at your whim. Be as open or tough as you feel at any given moment!

March 6, 2009 at 8:45 pm